High School: El Camino
* Double Olympic Gold Medalist: 400m & 1500 Freestyle (1968, Mexico City)
* Olympic Gold Medalist: 1500 Freestyle (1972, Munich)
* 9 International Swimming Medals
* International Swimming Hall of Fame Honoree (1977)
* 2 Time World Record Holder: 1500 Freestyle
Mike is one of the greatest swimmers to ever come from Sacramento. He is part of a long tradition of Olympic champions from our area. Mike is a three-time Olympic Champion and former world record-holder specializing in freestyle events. He won 2 gold medals in individual events at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City. One in the men’s 400m freestyle and one in the men’s 1,500m. Four years later at the 1972 Olympics in Munich, Mike became the only American ever to repeat as the 1,500m freestyle gold medalist.
Before his Olympic fame, Mike won 10 AAU titles, and while at UCLA, he was a NCAA champion five times. These included the 500 Free (1970), 1650 Free (1967, 1968, 1970), and 200 Fly (1970), which he also became an All-American for these events. Burton was also a four-time Pac-10 champion, he helped lead the Bruins to the Pac-10 Championship Team Title in 1970. He is member of the UCLA Athletics Hall of Fame and International Swimming Hall of Fame.